"In the midst of our lives, we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Patience....

So it has been a while since I have posted, mostly because I have been so busy! But I was officially medically cleared back in December, which was so exciting! I was nominated for a position in Youth Development for March 2011 in Eastern Europe and I was really hoping that that would work out, although I do know that the nomination is likely to change! Unfortunately, I did not get an invitation for March 2011, and STILL have not gotten an invitation. I sent an e-mail to the person who is reviewing my application in the placement office back in March, and got no response. I do not want to seem pushy or impatient, but I am! haha. Did anyone else go through this as well? I know that it is common for your nomination to change, and that waiting for an invitation can be lengthy as well, but is it normal for the Peace Corps to not keep you up to date on whats going on with your application? I guess I would feel more at ease knowing that my application was at least being looked at and not just lost under a stack of papers somewhere.

If someone could also give me some idea on how you find out about your invitation. Does someone from the placement office call you first? Or do you just get it in the mail? It might be different for everyone, but I am just curious. Any insight would be great!

6 comments:

  1. Well, I wrote a detailed response to all of your questions, hit 'Post" and it was not sent.

    For some helpful information related to this specific point in the process, see my blog of March 4 (palew.blogspot.com)

    Everything will all work out for you, it just seems to take forever. Maintain PMA (positive Mental Attitude) and explore the limits of your patience.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Lew, that was extremely helpful! Like you, the only communication I have with the Placement Office since being medically cleared has been with an assistant. I have e-mailed her once asking back in March, my tentative nomination date, and she told me to e-mail my placement officer directly. I did this and have yet to hear a response. I didn't want to feel too pushy or impatient and have not said or made any other attempts to contact the placement office until this morning. I sent the assistant another e-mail asking if there was a new tentative date and region in mind for my departure.

    Lets hope she gets back to me! Thanks again for the reassurance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's been this long, you should definitely email your recruiter too. A lot of people say they are the most helpful at pulling strings and getting you answers at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What if I don't have a recruiter? hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Danielle -

    You should have a recruiter, that's whoever you interviewed with. If not, you can call the peace corps on the number listed on their website. If you wait it'll connect you with a real person, and then you can ask.

    It's possible your original contact no longer works with them, or who knows. I think you should have heard something back by now, I would not feel bad about trying to get in contact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I am in contact with that person, I guess I just never heard them referred to as a recruiter. I'll see what I can do!

    Thanks for all the help everyone!

    ReplyDelete