"In the midst of our lives, we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Why? Application Process-Medical Review

This whole process has been something unexpected but incredible! I worked on the application for quite some time making sure that everything was perfect. When the application was complete I thought, "Oh, my, gosh! It's finally done!" (even though I knew I was still very far from "done" with this process). After the application was submitted I did feel a moment of relief, like some how it was out of my hands. When I got the second packet of work to complete I began to get more nervous, but also more excited as I realized that my dream is becomming more realistic. Again, when I completed that part I felt that relief again. During this process I was put in touch with a recruiter who was a wonderful and a great tool to help with all the questions that I had. This is also the person I interviewed with.

I was extremely nervous for the interview. I was unsure of what to expect and wanted to make sure I said how I truely felt about serving as a Peace Corps volunteer. To my relief, the interview felt more like a conversation and it was an exremely comfortable environment. I was shocked when my recruiter gave my a nomination right at the end of the interview and re were so many emotions going through me at this time. Is this real life? I was so happy their were tears in my eyes. Knowing that my hard work was paying off and that I was another step closer to my dream becomming my reality was/is priceless. I wouldn't trade anything in the world to replace that feeling. Telling my Step Mom brought me to tears again. She has been so supportive of my through this process and hearing her excitement made it even more believable.

Waiting. Waiting. Waiting for the medical packet to come in the mail. Waiting to know what I have to do next and not having control over it was difficult but that feeling of excitement I have overpowered any anxiety I have. Knowing that I am one step closer to helping people and hopefully starting this new part of my life, my adventure. When I finally got the update on my Toolkit that they sent the packet I started dsetting up my appointments and getting my medical documents together. When I finally got the packet I was able to read it over right away to get a better idea of what was to be expected of me and what I needed to do in a short amount of time. I had just recently had a dental exam and x-rays so I was able to get the dental portion out of the way right away. The physical was a bit more complicated. My doctor seemed to be really overwhelmed, more than I was surprisingly, with the amount of tests and labs I needed to accomplish and was at first almost annoyed she had to do it, but eventually calmed down and was more open-minded to the process. I am still waiting on the results and will be going back to the doctor on Tuesday to HOPEFULLY have everything squared away with the medical review!

I think I will stop here and update again on Tuesday after my appointment!

No comments:

Post a Comment